This delicious and hearty soup was inspired by the authentic Tom Kha Gai, chicken coconut soup, that is a staple in Thai cuisine. Tom Kha Gai Soup delivers a complexity of flavors that are salty, sour and spicy all at once with a silky rich coconut milk, broth, cooked chicken and mushrooms.
● 1 Tablespoon olive oil
● 2 cups sliced mushrooms
● 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
● 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
● 2 cloves garlic, minced
● 2 teaspoons Spicy Thai Seasoning*
● 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes*
● 8 oz cooked chicken, shredded
● 1 cup or 1/2 can light coconut milk
● 1 cup chicken stock
● 2 cups water
● 1 Tablespoon honey
● 3 scallions, cut diagonally
● 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
● 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
In a dutch oven or soup pot, bring olive oil to medium high heat. Add mushrooms and red bell pepper and sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 – 8 minutes. Add ginger and garlic and continue cooking another 2-3 minutes. Add Spicy Thai Seasoning and Crushed Red Pepper Flakes. Stir to combine.
Add chicken stock and coconut milk. Reduce heat to simmer and continue to cook an additional 10 minutes. Add chicken and honey and heat through. Ladle into 4 bowls and garnish with onions, cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
*Available at Zest!