2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 Cup onion, sliced thin
1/2 Cup carrots, sliced thin
1/2 Cup celery, sliced thin
10 Cups water
1 Teaspoon Chipotle Powder*
1/4 Teaspoon crushed Bay Leaf*
2 Teaspoons Mexican Oregano*
2 Teaspoons Sweet Basil*
1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Seed*
1/2 Teaspoon Granulated Garlic*
1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground Black Peppercorns*
Sea Salt* to taste
1 2-3 lb chicken cut up
1 Cup of tomatoes peeled and thinly sliced
1 Cup red onion, sliced thin
1/2 Cup cilantro, minced
3 cup vegetable oil
12 corn tortillas
12 ounces grated Monterey Jack Cheese or Cheddar cheese
Diced tomatoes, avocado and cilantro
3 limes cut into wedges
1. Melt butter in large stockpot and sauté onions, celery and carrots about 5 minutes.
2. Add water, chipotle powder, spices and chicken to pot and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour until chicken is fully cooked.
4. Skim fat from surface and remove chicken from pot.
5. After the chicken is cool enough to handle remove the skin and bones and shred the meat.
6. Add shredded chicken, red onion, and cilantro back to the pot and cook about 10 more minutes.
7. For garnish heat oil in medium skillet until hot but not smoking.
8. Cut tortillas in 1/4 inch strips and fry until crisp.
9. Drain on paper towels. (Can substitute corn chips in a pinch)
10. Add tortilla strips to bowls.
11. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with grated cheese, diced tomato, avocado and cilantro.
12. Serve hot with a lime wedge in each bowl.
Serves 8-10 people.
Love to Cook?
Sign up for one of our Cooking Classes.
Get creative recipes, exclusive sales, and much more when you subscribe to our e-newsletter.