4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1 lb andouille sausage, cut into 1/4 inch slices
2 cups okra, chopped (can use frozen)
3/4 cup flour
1 medium onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 celery ribs, sliced
2 qts. hot water
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Bay Leaves
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons Creole Seasoning*
1/2 teaspoon Thyme Leaf*
3/4 teaspoon hot sauce
5 sliced green onions
1 teaspoon File Powder*
- Cook sausage in a Dutch oven over medium heat about 5 minutes or until browned, stirring constantly.
- Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Reserve drippings in Dutch oven.
- Cook chicken in reserved drippings until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Sauté okra in drippings until tender, remove and set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp of oil to drippings.
- Add flour and stirring frequently cook over medium heat for 20-25 minutes or until roux is dark brown.
- Stir in onion, bell pepper and celery and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Gradually add the hot water and bring entire mixture to a boil.
- Add chicken, garlic and next 5 ingredients.
- Reduce heat and simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile add sausage and okra to pot and cook 30 minutes.
- Add green onions and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaves
- Remove finished gumbo from heat and stir in filé powder to taste.
- Serve over hot cooked rice. Garnish with additional green onions.
*Available at Zest!